Among the biggest disadvantages of getting old are the appearance of wrinkles and the sagging of skin.
No wonder there are so many skin tightening procedures that you can use to bring back the beauty and youthful glow of your skin.
However, because of the number of available skin tightening treatments, many patients are getting too confused on which procedure to use.
So in order to find the tightening procedures that work best for your type of skin, you should first categorize different skin procedures.
Non-Invasive Skin Tightening Procedures
These treatments typically use radiofrequency and are commonly referred to as “lunch-time procedures” because they usually take just an hour to finish a session.
In general, radiofrequency skin tightening procedures are for people who are 35 years old and above with skin problems, such as sagging, deep crow’s feet, laugh lines, marionette lines, sagging skin under the arms, double chin, and more.
Such treatments are ideal for those who are not ready to go under the knife, but feel a great need of improving their skin’s condition.
Radiofrequency At Work
The skin is composed of two layers – dermis, or the underlying layer; and the epidermis, the outer layer. Dermis is composed mainly of collagen, a protein that holds the skin up and keeps it supple. However, as we get older, collagen production is greatly reduced, thus the skin wrinkling and slackening.
Younger people have faster collagen turnover, which averages 28 days. As we age, the collagen turnover gets longer, taking up to 45 days. Radiofrequency is utilized to blast the skin cells and wake them up, ‘forcing’ them to produce collagen.
To give you a wider perspective about skin tightening, here are some of the most popular skin tightening procedures for face and body:
- Thermage – a non-invasive radiofrequency procedure that is proven to safely tighten and revive your skin’s contour, giving you a younger look. Thermage is not only a skin tightening procedure for the face, you can also treat skin on hands, arms, thighs, and other body parts. Apart from the skin folds and wrinkles, this treatment can effectively minimize cellulite appearance as well.
- Refirme – uses state of the art technology called Elos, a system that uses the combined energies of light and bi-polar radiofrequency, this way providing precise heat to the target area. The precise heating technique guarantees faster, more effective and safer treatment, and compared to conventional laser treatments, Refirme uses minimal optical energy. Thus guaranteeing a painless procedure.
- Tripollar – this innovative, 3rd generation radiofrequency technology combines the beneficial results brought by radiofrequency technology and at the same time passes the standards set by the earlier monopolar and bi-polar techniques. This procedure is considered as one of the best skin tightening procedures today. It does not only tighten the face, but is effective in treating the body as well.
Although it usually costs more than the earlier treatments, Tripollar is typically more efficient and provides more visible and lasting results.
The skin tightening procedures mentioned above are not just for the face. Since they are non-invasive, they are also used in arms, buttocks, breasts, and in most parts of the body.
Surgical Skin Tightening Procedures
Surgical procedures are very effective and offer dramatic changes. However, they are also riskier and usually require more time to undertake and for the patient to recover. Some say that the best skin tightening procedure is going under the knife, but the fact is, the popularity of such procedures have decreased, mainly because of the growing number of available non-invasive treatments. Here are some of the most commonly used surgical treatments for skin tightening.
- Abdominoplasty – this surgical skin tightening procedure for the stomach is commonly referred to as ‘tummy tuck’. Abdominoplasty is performed to remove excess skin on the abdomen and tighten it to make it look more firm and supple.
- Liposuction – this very popular procedure does not only tightens the skin, but also remove unwanted body fats. In particular, laser liposuction is more capable in producing noticeably tighter skin.
- Facelifts – this surgical procedure typically attracts those who are in their later years. However, this facelift procedure is becoming less popular, since non-invasive procedures are faster, safer and offer equal results.
Surgical or Non-Invasive?
Unless your skin is sagging to the extremes, or you have extensively loose muscles and deeply stretch marked skin, you can opt to have a non-invasive skin tightening treatment. Non-surgical skin tightening procedures are generally safer and offer equal, if not better, results.
Discuss the possible options with your doctor. Weigh the advantages and risks of each available treatment. Read reviews and ask colleagues who have tried various skin tightening procedures about their experiences with their respective treatments. That way, you will be able to pick the skin tightening procedure that is best for you.